POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : infested computers - how does it happen? : Re: infested computers - how does it happen? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: infested computers - how does it happen?
From: Invisible
Date: 5 Dec 2008 07:44:01
Message: <49392211$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:

> Well then try this on for size. I get a call from my sister-in-law ....
> don't know why but my computer is running real slow! OK .... going into town
> anyway so I stopped by. 78 Mahjong games running. I asked .... How did you
> manage that!!! Turns out she thought she WAS quitting the game when she was
> done. She was clicking on the (-) instead of the (x). Doesn't the (-) mean
> take away she asked. Lord help my aching head! Now my wife wants to get her
> a digital camera for Christmas.

1. Why would having unused programs running make the computer slow?
Surely mahjong doesn't consume any CPU time if it isn't "doing" anything...?

2. Didn't notice the taskbar then? Heh. I've noticed more non-experts
seem to think that the myriad of status indicators on the screen are
"just decoration". They don't comprehend that these things *tell* you stuff.

3. Digital camera? Oh, enjoy supporting it... ;-)